We Fight For Pedestrians Injured By Negligent Drivers
Whether you’re walking across the parking lot, taking a jog around your neighborhood, or crossing the street at an intersection, the last thing that you expect is to be hit by a car. Being hit by a car can be devastating, leaving the victim with long-term, disabling or fatal injuries.
At the Pack Law Group, our pedestrian accident attorneys in Virginia understand the tragedy you’re facing if a car strikes you or a loved one. For the aggressive support you need in navigating the claims process and recovering a settlement, call our pedestrian accident lawyers today.
Top Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are almost always preventable. If you’ve been hit by a car, our lawyers will commit to thoroughly investigating your case and determining exactly what happened and whose negligence caused your crash. Some of the top causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving. A crash may happen simply because a driver is not paying attention and does not see a pedestrian as such.
- Speeding. Speeding increases the risk of a crash, increases the stopping time for a vehicle (which can be critical in the event that a pedestrian is in front of a car), and increases the risk of loss of vehicle control.
- Driving while intoxicated. Driving while intoxicated increases the risk of all accident types, as impaired driving means a slowed reaction time, increase risk of performing erratic behaviors, blurred vision and other dangerous effects.
- Performing other illegal maneuvers. There are a handful of other illegal or unsafe maneuvers that a driver may perform that increase the risk of crash, such as failing to stop at a light, failing to yield when proceeding through an intersection or making a turn, or driving aggressively.
Unlike accidents involving two passenger cars, the victim of a pedestrian crash has no protections to prevent injuries – no air bags, no seat belt, no metal vehicle frame to absorb the force of the collision. As such, pedestrian accidents are often especially tragic. If a pedestrian crash is not fatal, it may leave the pedestrian with long-term, permanently disabling injuries.
Who Pays For Damages After A Crash?
As a fundamental part of personal injury law, the party that causes damages to another through a wrongful or neglectful act is liable for those damages. As such, if you can prove that your accident and injuries would not have occurred but for the actions of the driver who hit you, then you can hold that party liable for the full value of your losses.
Note that if multiple parties share liability in the accident, then you can bring forth a claim against each party in proportion to each party’s share of damages. Remember, that in Virginia, if you had any blame to the accident, you may not be able to collect.
What Should A Parent Do When A Child Is Injured In A Pedestrian Accident?
No matter how minor the accident appeared or how much your child insists that they are fine, get to a doctor as soon as possible. Your child’s immediate pain level does not necessarily reflect their injuries. Please note, that children may downplay their pain level for a number of reasons. Maybe they don’t want to look weak in front of other people, maybe they have something coming up that they are looking forward to, or maybe they are afraid of going to the doctor.
Once you’ve seen to your child’s medical care, you can start to consider your next legal steps, such as:
- Take pictures of the crash scene, signs that may indicate a lower speed limit or bus stop, and road conditions.
- Get the other party’s contact information and insurance information, as well as contact details for witnesses.
- Keep copies of any paperwork you get from the doctor and other medical professionals.
- Take notes on every call with any insurance company you speak to.
- Document your child’s pain levels each day.
A child getting injured is a worst-case scenario for an insurance company. Their goal is to get you to settle for a low amount and sign a liability waiver before you know the extent of your child’s injuries. You need an attorney who can protect you from these efforts and fight for the compensation your family deserves.
What We Can Do for You
Following a crash, it’s important that you take action immediately. When you call our law firm, we will initiate an investigation into your crash and start gathering evidence as soon as possible. In addition to traveling to the accident scene and doing an assessment of all evidence gathered, we will hire experts who can work on your case as well, such as accident reconstruction experts.
We’ll also handle bringing forth your claim and a demand letter, calculating your damages, and reviewing and negotiating your settlement. If you’re hit by a car, you’re likely facing serious financial losses and long-term harm. For help recovering the compensation award that you deserve, please call our law firm directly today or send us a message requesting a free consultation. You can reach us at 540-586-7225 – our phones are answered 24/7.
Let our legal team carry your legal burden.