DUI Penalties in Virginia
The attorneys at the Pack Law Group in Bedford include former prosecutors and defense attorneys who together have handled countless DUI cases in Lynchburg and central Virginia. DUI laws in Virginia are especially harsh, and a conviction for drunk driving is in many ways harder to deal with than other misdemeanor or felony offenses. Below is a look at some of the penalties you can face if convicted of DUI. For help in avoiding a conviction or to minimize the negative consequences of a DUI, call the Pack Law Group at 540-586-7225.
DUI Conviction – First Offense
- Mandatory minimum fine of $250
- One-year revocation of your driver’s license
DUI Conviction – Second Offense
- Mandatory minimum fine of $500
- Three-year revocation of your driver’s license
- Possible jail term up to one year
- If second offense is within five years of a prior offense, mandatory minimum 20 days in jail
- If second offense is within ten years of a prior offense, mandatory minimum 10 days in jail
DUI Conviction – Third Offense
- Mandatory minimum fine of $1,000
- Mandatory indefinite revocation of your driver’s license
- Possible prison sentence up to five years (Class 6 felony)
- If third offense within five years of prior offenses, mandatory minimum six months in jail
- If third offense is within ten years of prior offenses, mandatory minimum 90 days in jail
- Forfeiture of vehicle
DUI Conviction – Fourth Offense
- Mandatory minimum one year in jail
The above penalties show the minimum in fines, suspensions and jail time you may be exposed to, but the actual penalties imposed can be much higher. In addition, there are several ways in which the mandatory minimum penalties can be automatically enhanced on conviction, for instance if your BAC was .15% or higher, .20% or higher, or if you were transporting minors in your car at the time of your arrest.
Get Help Now with Your Virginia DUI Arrest
As with other criminal matters, prosecutors have a great deal of leeway in deciding how to charge an offense, and judges have wide discretion on the punishments they impose following a conviction. As former DUI prosecutors and experienced DUI defense lawyers, we know how to work within the system and provide a strong defense for the best result. If you have been arrested for DUI in Bedford, Lynchburg or Roanoke counties, or anywhere in central Virginia, call on the Pack Law Group at 540-586-7225 for immediate assistance.